For the best Protection Against Skin Cancer that comes from sun damage, Dr. Straughn and Buckhead Dermatology in Atlanta suggest the following:
- Limit your exposure: wear at least at least hat, lotion formulated to protect you from both forms of sunlight, and sunglasses
- If you have an older car, look in the owner’s manual or manufacturer to see if the windows of your model have SPF coating; install if not.
- Understand the basics of sun lotion. This is a very confusing area. Unfortunately an SPF of 60 is NOT twice as effective or longer lasting than an SPF30.
- It is best to apply onto cool, dry skin at least 20 minutes before exposure.
- Understand also that NO product is waterproof. Dry yourself and re-apply at regular intervals.
Call to schedule an appointment at Buckhead Dermatology (404) 816-4000 for an in-person skin exam and consultation for personalized sun prevention tips and sun damage treatment plan to help you feel good about your skin.